Like many departments, The Liberty Road Volunteer Fire Company faced the challenges associated with operating a modernized fire company in a significantly out dated facility. The existing station was the composition of three separate areas of construction that began with the department’s first station built in 1948. Subsequent additions were made in the 1960’s and again in 1990. Each built without future consideration of the departments needs.
As apparatus size increased, call volumes grew, and maintenance issues seemed to never cease, the department found themselves struggling to deal with the station conditions. Challenged with deteriorating finishes and a “broken” plan in which the apparatus bays were divided by living and operations areas the department approached Manns Woodward Studios to develop a cost effective solution.
In the initial feasibility study we determined that the existing structure of the building was in good condition and should remain intact. The existing medic apparatus bays which were far too small for today’s equipment was scheduled to be converted in to living/operations areas while the second floor became dedicated to sleeping spaces, classrooms and administrative offices. A new apparatus bay was developed for larger equipment and was located to consolidate all of the department’s equipment on one side of the facility.
The original portion of the station was reserved for historic preservation and is scheduled to be converted into a trophy room in which the department can place their prized 1940’s pumper.